I can remember the first time I ever went to McDonalds. It was 1972 and my grandmother took me to the grand opening of the new McDonald’s that had opened near her home. We drove up and Ronald McDonald was outside waving us all in.
I couldn’t wait to try the Big Mac that had been so happily shown off on TV and in the papers.
A few days before the opening, McDonald’s took out a huge advertisement in the local paper with a challenge for all who wanted to take it up. There on the page was a huge photograph of the Big Mac with all the lyrics to the Big Mac Song from the telly. The challenge was to sing the song at the counter in less than four seconds. For that, you would receive a free Big Mac and a Big Mac t-shirt. There was no way I was going to miss out on that offer!
So we walked up to the counter and I blurted the words out… “Two whole beef patties, special sauce lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun!” I got my Big Mac and t-shire and I think I must have been one of the happiest kids around.
I remember the famous sandwich being bigger. The beef was meatier the sauce was so good.
So today, in memory of that day so long ago, I decided to make a Big Mac the way I used to love them. God it brought back memories. If you love Big Macs, you’ve simply got to make this one.
Special Sauce Recipe
Mix 3 tablespoons mayonaise, 1 tablespoon catsup, 1 teaspoon finely chopped dill pickle, 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion, 1/2 teaspoon French’s yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. You will have enough for four sandwiches.
- 175g top quality minced beef - Ask your butcher for a 60% meat 40% fat blend (Very important)
- 1 top sesame seed bun and two bottom buns
- 2 tablespoons special sauce (recipe above)
- 1 dill pickle
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 piece of American cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Separate the meat into two equal sized balls and then flatten them with a flat spatula.
- Butter your buns and then toast them in a hot pan over medium high heat. Remove to make the miracle happen.
- Now cook your beef patties for two minutes per side. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place the two bottom buns next to each other on a clean surface.
- Top each bun with a generous amount of the sauce, followed by about a tablespoon of chopped onion.
- Top this with the shredded lettuce.
- Now place a few pickle slices on the left hand bun and a slice of American cheese on the other.
- Place one beef patty on each side and then place the pickle side on top of the cheese side.
- Finally place the sesame seed bun on top.
- Enjoy with your favourite ice cold lager.