It’s hard to beat a homemade ranch dressing. That’s especially so when it’s on top of a wedge of cold iceberg lettuce with all the fixings. Crisp red onions, chickpeas and kidney beans are a must. I also like a bit of smoked bacon or fried chunks of Parma Ham. The chunks of Parma ham are a bit more difficult to come by but God are they good.
That’s what I used in the wedge salad above. We brought a leg of Parma ham back with us from our last trip to Italy and believe me, cutting small chunks off of it are a lot easier than those more traditional paper thin slices.
I’ve been making this same ranch dressing since I was a kid. Little has changed. There’s just no need to change a thing. Hope you agree with that one.
- 1 cup (250ml) Mayonnaise
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 1 shallot - finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- A small bunch of chives - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 squirts of Tabasco
- 1 - 2 squirts of Worcestershire sauce
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until creamy smooth.
- Place in the fridge for about an hour before using (optional).