Looking for an easy appetiser that is sure to be a big hit? Almost everyone loves chicken and these sweet and sour chicken bites are just the thing to make a hungry crowd happy.
You can make the sweet and sour sauce ahead of time and you can also brown the chicken thighs earlier in the day as well.
All you need to do then is cover the chicken pieces in the sweet and sour sauce and bake in a hot oven for an hour leaving you plenty of time to socialise and forget the cooking.
For best results you will need to turn the chicken pieces a few times during cooking but I often forget and have never been disappointed.
If you want to get really fancy, double the amount of sauce. Follow this recipe exactly on day one and then wrap each chicken piece in its own individual foil package with a little more sauce.
Heat and serve.
- 3 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into thirds
- Garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon citric acid (optional)
- corn flour for dusting
- oil for browning the chicken
- ¾ cup (100g) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red chilli hot sauce (use your favourite)
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (65ml) orange juice
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with garlic salt to taste and set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Roll the chicken pieces in the corn flour and fry with a little oil until lightly browned.
- Mix together the sugar, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and orange juice with a dash of salt and pepper in a sauce pan.
- Over medium high heat, bring to a boil until the sugar is disolved.
- Line a baking pan with foil to make cleaning up easier.
- Place a single layer of the chicken on the foil and pour the sauce over.
- Bake at 175c (350f) for an hour turning every 15 minutes.