Just in case you can’t see from the photos, this one is definitely not good for you. But sometimes it’s fun – and quite tasty – to splurge a bit. As they say, everything is okay in moderation. The problem is, it’s quite difficult to eat this macaroni and cheese in moderation.
So then, if you’ve decided you want to give it a go anyway, this is my favourite mac and cheese recipe of all time. I’ve been making it since I was at university. My best friend’s dad at the time used to get free cheese. I don’t know why, he just did.
So we set out one day to create the best macaroni in cheese ever! I think we did it. I’d love to hear from you if you agree. If you don’t, you’re wrong. That’s it, you just don’t know a good cheesy mac.
I’m not worried though. I’m sure you’ll come to the right conclusion. Enjoy.
Oh, one last thing. I wrote it in the instructions but I’ll emphasise it here too. Let the mac and cheese rest for about ten minutes after you remove it from the oven.
- 1 kilo dry macaroni
- 720g (9 cups) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 240g (3 cups) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 115g (4oz) butter
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1½ tablespoons oregano
- 1½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 425ml (1½ cups) double cream
- 250ml (1 cup) sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- Bring a large pot of salt water to a boil in a large pot.
- When boiling, pour in the macaroni and cook for about nine minutes until it is about ⅔ cooked.
- Drain and pour the macaroni into a large casserole pan and top with three large handfuls of the grated cheese. Mix this all up.
- Place the onion and garlic in a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Now melt the butter in the same pot you used to cooked in the macaroni in and add the oregano, paprika and pepper to the melted butter.
- Stir to combine and the add the onion and garlic mixture. Allow this to sizzle for about two minutes.
- Pour in the milk, cream and sour cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cheese to this sauce one handful at a time while whisking constantly until you have used all the cheese except for about two handfuls.
- Simmer for about five minutes to thicken the sauce while continuing to whisk. Don't stop whisking!
- Reduce the heat a little and stir in the beaten egg yolks.
- Pour this sauce over the pasta. It will look like the pasta is drowning in the sauce. No worries, you're on your way to macaroni and cheese heaven.
- Place a pack of cheese crackers in a food processor and blend until you have nothing but crumbs.
- Sprinkle these crumbs over the top of your macaroni and cheese topped with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Cover the macaroni and cheese tightly with foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- When cooked, allow to sit for about ten minutes, covered with the foil.
- Remove foil and dig in!