After visiting Greece many times my family and I have found one of our favourite dishes to be baked Haloumi cheese with tomato and oregano.
It goes so well with lots of Mediterranean dishes, especially I would suggest grilled fish. I think my favourite was when it was served with grilled sardines, that was a perfect Mediterranean dinner.
You can replace the Haloumi cheese with feta as that works just as well but I prefer the taste of Haloumi. I make my baked Haloumi dish here drizzled with truffle oil but a virgin olive oil will work just as well.
I add oregano to this recipe but I would also suggest adding thyme if you can get access to that. If you can get fresh oregano and thyme all the better.
The oregano and thyme that is grown on the Greek islands is amazing but in the mid summer months in northern Europe it can also be found readily to add to dishes such as this delicious baked Haloumi.
I hasten to add that it tastes great with loads of garlic so add as much garlic as you like! It tastes amazing with the fresh Mediterranien baked herbs.
If you like this recipe try these other similar ones:
Four Cheese Tortellini
Chicken & Chorizo Risotto
Salmon & Broccoli Pasta Bake
- 250g ( 9 oz ) Haloumi cheese
- 4 large vine tomatoes
- 50 ml ( 1/4 Cup ) Truffle Oil
- At least 5 cloves garlic
- Good handful of fresh oregano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390 F fan 180C/350 F gas 6
- Finely slice the tomatoes and Halloumi
- Layer the cheese and tomatoes in a small baking dish, Inbetween each layer tear off some oregano and/or thyme and also grate as much garlic as you can tolerate between each layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the truffle oil and lemon over the layers then bake for 20 minutes until the top begins to brown,