If you’re looking for the best cheeseburger recipe in America, you might just find it at Holeman & Finch Public House in Atlanta Georgia.
As burgers go, it is quite basic but what it lacks in toppings it makes up for in quality. I visited Holman & Finch Public House a few months ago and was very impressed.
I’d like to say I got to eat one whole burger to myself but that wasn’t the case. My wife Caroline and I split it with two relatives from Toombs County Georgia. We got the last burger of the evening.
At Holeman & Finch they only make 24 burgers every day and those burgers are usually ordered well in advance of them being served at 10.00 pm. They don’t make many but theirs is the best cheeseburger recipe I have found in some time so you could understand why they want it to remain special.
If you go on a Sunday, however they are served all day.
The secret to the spectacular flavour is in the grass fed chuck and brisket ground meat combo and also the freshly made burger buns.
I decided to recreate this masterpiece and home and now you can too. I promise you, this recipe is as close to the real thing as you’re going to get. In fact, I think my recipe is the best cheeseburger recipe going! Thanks Holeman and Finch!
If you are in the US, use Kraft American cheese slices just like they do at the restaurant. Here in the UK where Kraft slices are quite difficult to find, I used Deli Cheddar slices that worked spectacularly well.
I’ll be sharing my homemade burger bun recipe in my upcoming ebook “American Burger” but for now just try to find the freshest buns you can find. Yes, that is a freshly baked burger bun you see in that photo and it does make all the difference.
I used a combo of 50% chuck and 50% brisket. There was a 80% meat to 20% fat ratio and it tasted gorgeous. You could grind your own but I asked my butcher to do it which was a lot easier.
If you like this recipe, you might like to try some of these too…
- 1 freshly made hamburger bun
- 2 x ¼ pound (113g) burger patties
- Salt and pepper
- Butter for toasting the bun
- 1 half handful of shredded red onion
- 2 Kraft American Cheese slices or the cheese of you choice
- Ketchup, French’s mustard, mayonnaise and dill pickle slices
- Place a frying pan over high heat.
- Butter your bun halves lightly and toast in the pan. Set aside.
- Flatten your burger patties with a flat spatula until they are just slightly larger than the bun.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and place in the pan.
- Fry for four minutes until the patties are starting to cook through, then flip over.
- Cover one of the patties with the shredded red onion and then top each with a slice of cheese.
- Allow the cheese to melt and your burger will be ready. I do like mine a bit pink in the centre but feel free to cook for longer if you prefer.
- Cover the bottom bun with mayonnaise to taste and then top first with the patty with the onion and cheese and then the other.
- Place the top bun on the burger and serve with ketchup, mustard and pickles.
I hope you enjoy making and eating the best cheeseburger recipe around. If you do try it, be sure to leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.