My family travels to Italy at least once a year. It’s our favourite place for a family break. I love it because of all the amazing food and of course beautiful scenery. I love trying new Italian delicacies and then trying to develop the same recipes when I get home or while I’m there.
Insalata di Cavolfiore Calda (that’s hot cauliflower salad to you and me) is on the menu at so many of the gorgeous restaurants in Tuscan and Latium. Usually it’s prepared in large batches ahead of time and then portions are warmed up as requested.
There is no one recipe for hot cauliflower salad. It’s tried some good ones but this is one of my favourites. I hope you enjoy it as much a my family and I do.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower - cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 anchovies - rinsed and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley - finely chopped
- 2 spring onions - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon Dijon (or similar) mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium high heat.
- When hot, add the anchovies and red chilli flakes.
- Fry until the anchovies break down into a paste and then add the garlic and spring onions.
- Stir this all up to combine and toss in the cauliflower and Dijon mustard.
- Continue frying until the cauliflower is cooked through but not soft. It should still have some bite to it.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle in the parsley.
- Serve immediately or set aside until you are ready to serve. You can make this salad a few hours ahead of time and then just heat it up.