I could not possibly feature Mexican food on my site without a recipe for simple but delicious fried corn chips.
Yes, they aren’t low calorie but served with a tasty tomato or avacado salsa at least they can provide some nutrition!
The difference between these home made chips and the store bought chips in a bag is like comparing two different planets! I would always advise making our own corn tortilla chips if at all possible as once you taste them you will know it is definitely worth it.
I have a deep fat fryer but they can also be fried in a deep frying pan as that works just as well.
Serve the chips in a huge bowl surrounded by a few of your favorite salsas and you will find yourself never buying chips in a bag again!
They can also be made ahead of time as they will keep for a few hours and remain crisp until your guests arrive.
You can also store them in an air tight plastic bag for up to a week.
I recommend serving my home made corn chips with any or all of these salsas:
Easy Salsa Recipe
- 15-20 Corn Tortillas
- Rapesseed ( Canola ) Oil for frying
- Salt crystals to sprinkle over the top
- Heat the oil to approximately 180 C ( 350 F )
- While the oil is heating cut the round tortillas into triangles
- Lower the tortilla triangles gently into the oil and cook for around 3 minutes
- Serve in a large bowl surrounded by your favorite salsas